You can purchase eBook and Print copies from:
And eBook copies from:
Alt Hist Issue 5 features stories covering a variety of historical periods from the 1800s to post-War USA.
This issue includes five new original works of fiction including stories about Al Capone and Italian Futurism, the aftermath of the American Civil War, the real Frankenstein, the Bridge that consumes the souls of men, and the latest instalment in a series of stories about a successful Nazi invasion of Britain.
Alt Hist is the magazine of Historical Fiction and Alternate History, published twice a year by Alt Hist Press.
- After Mary by Priya Sharma
- AD 1929 by Douglas W. Texter
- The Stiff Heart by Meredith Miller
- The Bridge by Micah Hyatt
- Battalion 202: Rotten Parchment Bonds by Jonathan Doering
Alt Hist Issue 4 Now Available, Published May 2012
The current issue of Alt Hist is Issue 4, published in May 2012. Alt Hist publishes twice a year in May and November.
Alt Hist Issue 4: The Magazine of Historical Fiction and Alternate History contains seven top-quality stories from a variety of genres: horror, alternate history and fantasy, as well as straight historical fiction, including four stories set during World War II. If you’re looking for something other than World War II then we also have two stories from the Nineteenth Century and one from the Middle Ages.
The seven stories featured in Alt Hist Issue 4 are:
- ‘Restless’ by Dylan Fox set in the 1860s onboard a fleet of British ironclad warships steaming towards China.
- ‘Kleine Menschen’ by Eric Jackson is a historical fantasy story set in World War II Germany.
- ‘Feast of Faith’ by Shane Rhinewald explores the struggles of common soldiers during the First Crusade who don’t have enough to eat.
- ‘Three Months of Summer’ by Svetlana Kortchik is a love story that happens during the German occupation of Ukraine in 1942.
- ‘The Stork’ by George Piper is a backwoods horror that will scare and surprise you.
- ‘Battalion 202: A Blinded Falcon’ and ‘Battalion 202: Into the Darkness’ by Jonathan Doering are two alternate history stories about the resistance to a German invasion of Britain.
Issue 4 of Alt Hist: The Magazine of Historical Fiction and Alternate History is available in both print and eBook formats as follows:
Available as an eBook from:
Alt Hist Issue 3, Published November 2011
Issue 3 of Alt Hist is available in eBook and print book formats. For an eBook format please visit Smashwords or Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk for Kindle versions. A print version of Alt Hist Issue 3 will be available in a few weeks time. Stay tuned to Alt Hist for more information!
The third issue of Alt Hist includes two stories about the American Civil War, one about the great Tesla, a tale of post-war revenge set in Dublin, and a compelling story about the early years of the space race.
Full list of stories and authors:
- ‘A Light in the Darkness’ by Ian Sales
- ‘Dublin Can Be Heaven’ by Séamus Sweeney
- ‘Riders on the Storm’ by Arlan Andrews
- ‘Bummers’ by Matthew Warner
- ‘To The Stars’ by Brooks Rexroat
Alt Hist Issue 2, published June 2011
Issue 2 of Alt Hist is available in eBook and print book formats. For an eBook format please visit Smashwords or Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk for Kindle versions. A print version of Alt Hist Issue 2 is available at Amazon.com, and at Lulu for UK readers and nowAmazon.co.uk.
The second issue features eight new stories and also three book reviews. From ancient Egypt to World War I, and the death of Abraham Lincoln, there is something for every fan of historical fiction in Alt Hist Issue 2.
Stories featured in Alt Hist Issue 2:
‘Long Nights in Languedoc’ by Andrew Knighton
‘The Apollo Mission’ by David X. Wiggin
‘Son of Flanders’ by William Knight
‘In Cappadocia’ by AshleyRose Sullivan
‘The Orchid Hunters’ by Priya Sharma
‘Death in Theatre’ by Jessica Wilson
‘The Scarab of Thutmose’ by Anna Sykora
‘The Watchmaker of Filigree Street’ by N. K. Pulley
And reviews of:
Historical Fiction Writing: a practical guide and tool-kit by Myfanwy Cook
Ruso and the River of Darkness by R. S. Downie
Rome Burning by Sophia McDougall
You can either buy a print copy via Amazon or Lulu, or an ebook via Smashwords. The Kindle version is also now available. Plus you should be able to find it in other ebook stores such as the iBook store for iPhone and iPad.
Alt Hist is the new magazine of Historical Fiction and Alternate History. Lovers of historical fiction for too long have been denied outlets for short pieces of fiction, as the number of print and online magazines for historical short fiction is very limited compared to the popularity of fiction set in past times. Alt Hist’s mission is to provide readers with entertaining and well-written short stories with a historical setting, whether portraying actual events or events that could have happened. If you read and enjoy historical fiction, alternate history or historical fantasy then we think you will like Alt Hist.
The first issue of Alt Hist features six short stories:
“The Silent Judge” by David W. Landrum
“Easter Parade, 1930” by Rob McClure Smith
“Holy Water” by Andrew Knighton
“Lament for Lost Atlanta” by Arlan Andrews
“The Bitterness of Apples” by Priya Sharma
“Travelling by Air” by Ian Sales
Alt Hist Issue 1 also includes an interview with Brandon H. Bell, co-editor of Aether Age, and information about the alternate history anthology Columbia & Britannia.